Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cabbage Soup Recipe

Ok, first of all this recipe is the easiest thing in the whole world.  You'll have to allot yourself like an hour before you can eat it in order to make it.  But other than the hour it is so easy!

You'll need a BIG pot to cook this in.  I use a 16 qt pot because it makes a lot of soup.

First I start out with a can of beef broth.  I usually try to by the low sodium fat free kind, because it tastes the same but is better for you.  After I empty the can I usually fill it two or three times with water and put that in too.  After your broth and water are in the pot you can start browning your ground beef.  I salt and pepper it in order to season it, and I also add chili powder to it...a lot of chili powder. Next I cut my carrots.  This time I used an entire bag of the baby carrots, I cut them in half and throw them in.  Turn your stove on high and let it begin to cook.  Next are the potatoes...6 or 7 small potatoes.  I don't ever peel them (I like the peels) I just scrub them well and then cut them into 8ths.  Half of an onion diced into the pot.  4 or 5 stalks of celery diced as well.  2 cans of corn and 2 cans of green beans (with the water and everything). 2 yellow squashes and 2 zucchini's.   Really you can put ANY vegetable in this soup.  Anything!  My room mate once put turnips in it and it turned out great!  You can experiment and try anything.  I love vegetables so anything goes for me.  Lastly I take a small head of cabbage and I slice it into small pieces.  The whole head.  Put it into the pot with everything else.  You might need to add some more water at this point (if there isn't enough water to go over the cabbage add some).  After that add your browned hamburger, and a lot more chili powder.  (we like it hot!!) Salt and pepper to taste.  And you're done.  Basically it is a bunch of water with a TON of vegetables, chili powder, and hamburger added.

You'll have to let me know if you have the chance to try it.  Honestly Curtis even liked it!  :D

3 comments:

  1. Curtis gets his love of veggies from his dad...just sayin'.
    I've been trying pretty much my whole life to get that kid to eat his veggies, lol! And look what you've accomplished in just 3 months! Seriously~he ate cabbage???

    ReplyDelete
  2. He actually decided that the cabbage was one of his favorites. I think if I left out the zucchini's he would love it entirely.

    ReplyDelete